Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Things and Life

Well things are going OK. I have decided to start a Bit Rental Company....well to add to my current Rachael's Equine Services. I just need to figure out how to add the stuff to the site...the paypal stuff and so on. I am collecting used bits for now! I pray that in a few months, I will offer all new bits with the option to buy! BUT that takes a little money to buy the bits....soooooooo we will rent used bits for now! I will have to charge a $35 membership a year to cover lost bits (stolen)and will limit the rental to one bit at a time....if they dont return the bit, they cannot rent another....thus the $35....To make ANY money off this deal i have to rent the bits for $15. That includes the shipping to and from. I have already ordered the flat rate small boxes from the post office...they were free. I will have to either get a new printer or figure out how to get high speed net to two computers so I can print and ship....cause this computer is the only one online and it does not talk to the HP printer that I bought 5 years ago......sigh. Anyhow, I think its gonna work, but I have got to figure out the small stuff first.

I gave a riding lesson today and taught it from Joe's back. He was kinda worn out afterword, but it was SOOO good for him! He learned that when I speak, it does not mean that he has to stop or do anything.....My lesson was at 1pm....it was a little hot. But I plan to take some flyers around town offering riding lessons. Perhaps business will pick up during the summer.....Gabe will be way in shape too!

I was offered a small part time gig today. I will be selling subscriptions to Cowgirl Living Magazine to retailers. Not what I was hoping but perhaps in the future it will pay off right? The folks are really nice and I sure hope I can move up the ladder!

5 comments:

Bobby said...

glad you are upbeat!! things will happen!

~ The Rockin MLB ~ said...

you can only go up from here! Keep your chin up and think positive. Pray that things will work in your favor!

~The South Dakota Cowgirl~ said...

sounds like things are looking up for you! like lacee said- just stay positive!

Anonymous said...

Rachel,
You can explain to people unfamiliar with your concept that it is like NetFlix for horse stuff: When something is returned, something (the next bit) is sent.

I had some ideas for names like Bits and Pieces but when I googled that I found it in use by everyone in the universe! Then I had a better idea for a name: NetBits (Bits from the Internet). However, that is being used... dad gummit!

And don't just limit yourself to bits! Keep that beautiful college educated brain working overtime to think if there is anything else besides bits that fit your business...

Can you get any ideas from Juli Thorson's blog? "... Horse Talk" (She is editor and assoc. publisher for Horse and Rider Magazine):
http://special.equisearch.com/blog/horsetalk/

To get more exposure/internet visibility, do you want to "guest blog" for someone when they go on vacation?

Can you put "thingies" on your blog like the Pioneer Woman does to make money when people click on your blog? (I don't know how this works, look at her site: she has thousands of visitors per day!!!)
Google "confessions of a pioneer woman" and you'll see that TIME magazine thinks she has one of the top 25 blogs for 2009!
http://thepioneerwoman.com/

And for those of you who havent't heard of Ree Drummond... well, where have you been?

But what do I know??? I don't even have a blog or a website... yet. I don't know much about horses either, so I can't make too many meaningful suggestions. I can suggest that you keep brainstorming. It will keep you afloat in these tough economic times.

So come on all you smart bloggers out there, help Rachel come up with some ideas and/or spread the word to the horse world... it is just good karma.

And keep smiling... it will make people wonder what you've been up to.

Sincerely,
Mike aka Garlic Man

Rachael said...

I love you guys!!! Always so full of encouragement!!!! Garlic man, you are great too!! You have been very helpful! Yes I can add some widgets!!! That is the things you click on on the blog...I do plan to have a bit blog where folks can tell about the bits they rented.... Just got to get this ball rolling. However, I will need help on the website. I am going into un-charted waters...and getting in a little over my head. BUT no worries!! It will all come together and I am sure that once I am taught, it will be easy to maintain!! Now, go find me some funds so I can buy new stock!!