Tuesday, May 26, 2009

We Had To Put Bailey Down Last Night

I am a little torn up right now. Last night I came home around 5pm. First thing I went to do was say hi to my baby girl Bailey. She nickered and ran around.....then I saw it. I saw that her back LEFT was drawn up. Her fetlock was bent forward and she was "knuckling it" meaning she was walking on her toe.....it was bad looking. I knew right then that we had to go to the vet NOW. Jeff was backing in the trailer. He saw me and heard me say we have to go to the vet. He ran in, changed and off we went. Basically, on her back right, she shattered her patella. That would me the knee cap on a horse and its located on the back leg in the stifle. Anyhow, it had to happen several days ago. Her back left was just bruised from over use. Basically, she had severed her tendons and ligaments on the right leg. All but a few that still allowed for her to lift that leg. She was a fighter, but once we got done looking over the xrays, she laid down and let us love all over her with out a fight. She was in pain. She was in a lot of pain. Our chances were grim. We could have brought her home and kept her in solitary confinement for MONTHS and pray that it would scar up and get firm. MONTHS and the chances of her not being in pain were slim too. She would always be chronically lame. I cannot stomach her suffering. So I know we made the right choice. But folks, no more bad stuff OK? God and I have some serious talking to do because I just dont see why I am being so whipped down.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rachel and Jeff,

I'm so sorry to hear about Bailey! May she rest in peace now. It isn't for us to speculate on why you are being tested be these happenings... just keep trying to do your best and you will come through it all.

We all will suffer tragedies if we live long enough. Learn from them if possible and be thankful for the time you had with those 2 legged, 4 legged and winged beings.

Peace,
Mike aka Garlic Man

Anonymous said...

PS: Rachael, thank you for not correcting me... I've been mis-spelling your name all this time.

Sincerely,
Garlic Man aka Mike

Rachael said...

Ha! Mike, I dont even notice anymore!