Thursday, November 1, 2018

That One Horse

We all have that one horse.You know. The one that makes us who we are today. The one that you wish you could keep forever. The one who taught you a lot and worked so hard for you at the same time. Some of us are blessed to get more than one. I'm very blessed to say that I have personally been the proud owner (or owned by) at least four of the version of that one horse! T.J. Was my first horse. He taught me all the things NOT to do when running a barrel horse. He also taught me grit. He taught me to listen. He taught me to be more aware of what is going on. He died too soon at the age of 19 in the fall of 2005. Next was Gabe. Yes I had a few between T.J. and Gabe but I have to skip over Thomas I didn't get as much time with them as I have Gabe. Gabe was that $800 yearling full of piss and vinegar from the get go. He was a hard nut to crack but on the inside, he has a heart of gold. But he wants things just so. He taught me to rejoice with the little accomplishments. He might have been a 3D local, 4/5D at big shows sort of barrel horse but he won his far share! Gabe is now 17 and retired. He has done it all from team penning, barrel racing, moving cows and right down to giving lessons. He also was able to carry my child through a year of playdays. If I had the money, I would put the $3000 in to him to fix what ever is wrong with him but honestly, he is fat, happy, and totally earned his right to be a sassy pasture ornament! When we were running, he gave his all. He was honest. If something was wrong, he told me. However, that punk would devour a set of reins, lead ropes, and in some situations, someone else's tack set! Not even kidding! He won a saddle, a buckle and a ton of other little things. He also won a lot of money! But due to weird circumstances, he is now just retired. Lynx is next. Lynx is my weirdo barrel horse! He is now 11. Born on our ranch out of a mare that was also born on our ranch. Oddly enough, he is the result of my hand picked bloodlines on a budget! I didn't plan on keeping him. Nope, he was for sale as a yearling and no one wanted him. Can't blame them. Despite his pedigree, he was an ugly ducking! Some how he ended up being mine. That blonde spot on his neck was something he was born with and he also has one on his front ankle. I had a dream about him before he was born and knew what he would look like before he hit the ground. Sure enough, my dream came true! He came out exactly like I dreamed! None the less, I had him for sale for $1500 and no bites. Finally I managed to get him from my dad and bring him home. I had no idea he would be the athlete that he is today! He has won about five buckles (I really need to count them) I don't even know how much money, and 3 saddles to date. I have never, in my life, had a horse that would run full speed to the first barrel and wrap it! It's a feeling like no other! I also have never owned a horse that ran in the 1D/2D at most all of his races! He is quirky. He has his special little things that I do just for him. He likes a routine. He wants me to say "Are you ready?? Lets Go!" In the alley! He loves his "special care" before each run and he is insanely jealous of attention that I give to anyone when I am riding him. He doesn't like me to answer my phone when we are riding. He hates anything heavy on his head. In fact, we ride in a super light snaffle with a super light headstall at home and we run in a super light bit. Even my race day reins are light and without snaps. To this day, no one has ever run him on barrels except me. Dee and Robert Carlton broke him and put a trotting pattern on him late in his 2nd year. But no one will ever run him except me. With that being said, he is an awesome lesson horse!! He will pack the kids around all day long. He rides like an English please horse at home (too fast for a western pleasure horse). He is a phenomenon! It just so happens that we bred Lynx's Dam back and Goose aka Perks on the Fly came into my life. Another well bred foal that no one wanted. He was born a gurlla and yes, I also had a dream about him before he hit the ground. I even have a sculpture that I made some 25 years ago that matches his markings. True to the mare's off spring, Goose is also quirky. However, he too went off to Dee and Robert and came back with the same pattern as Lynx. You can literally put their videos side by side and see how they maneuver around the pattern. Goose has had some really random stuff that we had to work through. Luckily I learned how to listen. Finally, at age 7, he is being entered into barrel races!!! I had to get some help though and I am not ashamed to say, I just don't have the trust bond like I do with Lynx to push Goose on the pattern. Well, God threw a 20 year old into my life whom is assuming the position of Jockey for Goose. I am super thrilled with how he is taking to his new life as a barrel horse!!! I have no doubt that he will give Lynx a run for his money! I really enjoy riding him at home. For the first time in my life, I have two that I really love to ride! Its just sort of crazy that they are maternal brothers!!!! They are both big boys! Zbar Lynx To Cash stands 15.3 hands and turns like a little cutter. Perks on the Fly stands 16.1 hands high and also turns like a little cutter! How on earth did I get so lucky to have these two??? Oh yeah...I am blessed! All in all, I have to say that God has really put the right horses in my path and the right people to guide and help me along the way! We might have to deal with some quirks here and there. But I feel that God has a plan for me! He is not done with me! So I will keep on riding Lynx and Goose and if I am really blessed, I will get one more foal out of Roxy (their Dam). I will be 40 in January and I am looking forward to the next chapter with Goose as my wing man and Lynx as my rock star! So when you loose "that one horse" understand that it might not be the end but the next chapter. Like I said, I have been blessed with 4! Don't give up. Just be patient and wait. If your heart is really in it and you trust God, your life will be filled with wonderful horses! I would not trade all the heart ache for the blessings that have been put on my plate!