Saturday, December 22, 2018

Do You Believe?

Christmas time is upon us! Often we are reminded how important family and friends are during the season. But why not year round? I always find it interesting how folks get all social for the holidays but forget about the rest of the year. I digress. This is not what this blog is about! This blog is about Santa. My son is at an age where others are saying he isn’t real. Well, folks, I am nearly 40 and I have to say I still believe! However, I think it’s more about Jesus than Santa! It always catches me off guard when something happens during Christmas that is so odd that I literally have no way to explain it other than God’s miracles aka Santa! My son asked (he is 7, almost 8) if Santa was real. He asked his dad. I was a little shocked when Jeff descibled Santa as similar to God. You can’t see him. You can’t touch him. You can’t call him but you can talk to him. You have to have faith to see His blessings. If you don’t believe, then you are likely to miss the miracles. Let’s say that again. If you stop believing, then you miss the miracles. They are still happening but you loose your joy. You loose your child like wonder. You loose the “wow factor” of the unexpected love and kindness. It doesn’t mean that God doesn’t still want you. He will not forsake you even in your time of doubt. Santa is the same way. For our kids, it’s that gift they asked for from Santa that shows up under the tree. As parents, we have to be observers and make sure we try to find that one special thing. It’s not something expensive or something that is just AMAZING. No, it could be something small that they really want. In fact, anything our kid needs (we really do the socks thing and things he needs vs toys) so when he gets that gift from Santa that he asked him face to face... you get the WOW. Oh the joy and innocence of a child! If we, as adults, kept that child like wonder, imagine how happy we would be when someone brings you a random cupcake or does something simple for you that you didn’t have a chance to do. Think about it! Reflecting back to our relationship with God and Jesus, I pray that we are able to hold on to the blind faith, child like wonder and never ending love for someone we cannot see or touch. Count your blessings, not your curses. Heck, find the good in the bad! It’s hard. As an adult, it’s super hard! We can drown in all the negative! So if you stop each morning and thank God for allowing you to wake up each morning, I can tell you that it will change your daily outlook! As for Santa, I still watch out for him! I even get surprises from him each year! The amazing thing is seeing my child’s joy when he sees the stockings hung and a few extra gifts from Santa! So let your children be children! Let them have Joy! And remember Jesus is the reason for the season! Merry Christmas!

No comments: