Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Barrel Racing and Team Roping Will Never Be The Same


Yesterday, Bobby "Booger" Barter, ended his life. I am sure we will never fully understand why. This man was larger than life and one who touched many lives in more way than even he knew. He was the KING of Team Roping and Barrel Racing. He created a barrel race so big that it could only be called World Barrel Racing. He was a pioneer of sorts. For he said "Show them Money and they will Enter!" And so we did. We entered that race. He offered more money and prizes than any other barrel racing organization. He led the way to $100 entry fees and showed everyone how it was done. He also found a way to run the race so fast.....60 an hour would run...that was unheard of!!! How? Well he had 3 tractors to drag and get the pen right. Everyone was in awe...and we came and we ran. He then brought in the pro girls......showed us little folks that we can compete against the very best! And we came and we ran. He always had a cancer awareness night. We all wore pink. His staff wore pink. All the "hat fines" went to support cancer research as well. He had a way about him that made you want to know him. Made you want to walk up and shake his hand. In my case, made me want to walk over and either hug him or kick him in the butt....for he was always giving me a hard time about something.
On a personal note. Booger was the one who dubbed Gabe the 10D Wonder Donkey. It was a joke and it was the beginning of our relationship. He somehow knew that I would react and give him someone to pick on publicly...I did not mind. I enjoyed the jarring!!! Why you ask? Why did I not mind all the poking fun? Well if you ever got a chance to talk to him for longer than 60 seconds, you cant help but love the man! He always would listen with caring eyes and make you feel as if you were someone special. For me, that was enough. I was so happy when he and Brooke, my best friend, began to date a year and a half ago. She was in such a dark place and met him....they were so good for each other. They were so in love....so in love it would make you sick..lol He took them in and treated Sarah like a little princess. He treated Brandon like one of his sons. I thought that Brooke had finally found her fairy tale. And she had. But it ended too soon. My heart aches for them.
As far as me and my horse, well one thing Booger made sure to repeat "you cant win if you dont enter" and "you gotta run faster". So we shall keep running. Me and that 10D Donkey will show him that we can drop that 0 and be a 1D Donkey! lol It really saddens me to think that such a great legend has fallen and left such a big hole in the heart of rodeo. May his soul be in heaven and his body rest in peace.

No comments: