Saturday, January 20, 2024

Gen X Thoughts

 So I have been thinking about generation x aka my generation and why we are the way we are. Yeah, we grew up as latch key kids. But what changed for generation z? My son is a gen z (I think) and these are the differences I can think of right now!

First of all, my parents shipped me off to my grandparents house every summer. I'd spend two weeks with my mom's folks and weekends year round with my dad's side. I also was sent to camp for two weeks. When I wasn't doing those things, I was visiting other family or hanging out with friends. My grandparents were young enough to keep up with us! And they were part of the born during the Great Depression era. They were raised different. They knew how to pinch a penny to make it last. They let us play in the dirt. Grandma Z taught me so much about horses and life. Grandma W was all about showing me the touristy things then watching "the wheel" and she loved to do my nails! She taught me more girly stuff. While my parents were boomers, both worked and both wanted us to go off to college and be better off than they were, they really relied on their parents (my grandparents) to help and assist with raising us. 

So let's see the difference here. I didn't have my son until I was 10 days shy of 31. My mom had me at age 29, yet I'm the baby of 4. Of course my parents were hippies so they were pretty hard on their bodies before they settled and had kids. Then, I had my kid later in life so his grandparents just can't keep up. Also, my parents divorced when I graduated college. So my mom remarried but my dad did not. My husband's folks were a lot older than mine were when he was born. Sadly, his mom passed and his dad is in a senior center at age 88. What's my point? I didn't get to send my kid for weeks at a time to hang out with his grandparents. No, they could not keep up with him. Now that he is 13, he can go and basically help them out during the summer. But he didn't get that deep connection that I got when I was growing up. The fact is, he knows how to entertain himself because he is an only child. We are pretty strict parents and expect yes ma'am, no ma'am etc. Where did we get that from??? Oh man... my grandma would get after me if I ever said yeah etc. So would my parents but I spent more time with my grandma Z. She was mean! In a good way but she could give me a look and I knew! My son just has mom and dad with twice a year visits from his grandparents. 

So I think we, Gen X, got a lot from our elders. That is what helped form us into these independent, run some dirt on it, don't cry, hold your ground individuals. I have a feeling that my son's generation will be a lot like us except the electronics. My son is lucky that I have been a stay at home mom most all of his life. I raised him like I was raised and that was to think for himself. But, FAFO. If you don't know what that is, look it up. Will I send my kid to his grandparents this summer? Yup! He is 13 now. He doesn't have to be watched as much and can get out there and mow grass, fix fence, or just whatever they need help with when he is bored. I know that if he says he is bored around my parents, they will put his butt to work. Let's see how these kids turn out! I have faith in him! He won't be living at home at age 30.... he will have a job. He already has plans for after high school. I think we (gen z) are raising the next best generation! 💪🏻

No comments: